Each year, students in the Memphis area are invited to participate in MIFA's Youth Servant Leadership Oratorical Contest, which is held in honor of the profound oratorical legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Students are invited to submit brief speeches in response to the year's theme. This year, the deadline for submissions is December 11, 2009, and the theme is "Something Good in Memphis: My Blueprint for Service."
Application materials include:
- Completed application (download here)
- Letter of recommendation
- Typed, double-spaced essay in Microsoft Word
- Transcript or last report card
- Be currently enrolled in and attending public school in Memphis/Shelby County
- Be between the ages of 14 and 18 as of December 31, 2009
- Have at least a 2.5 grade point average
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, faith leader, or employer
For more information, contact Carlos U. Royston at (901) - 529-4557.